Monday, October 21, 2013

Fall Break Pie Baking...

My sister and I went to an orchard about a week ago to pick up apples for pie making, I also purchased some gourds, and acorn squash and a caramel apple. Man was that caramel apple good, the husband and I shared it.
So for the last week I've been trying to find time to make some French Apple pies, I make a few every year and share them with some family members. Last week I had the pleasure of spending a day with my Grandson while he is on Fall break. I ask him if he wanted to help me make pies, not only was he willing to help but he also wanted to make a Pecan pie all by himself. He has always loved helping me in the kitchen, I cherish this recipe card that he wrote for me a few years ago.
We spent the entire afternoon in the kitchen baking pies, five in all. My kitchen looked like a bomb had exploded by the time we were finished, flour on the floor, sticky apple juice...everywhere mixed with sugar and spices. Good messy baking fun, I love it, especially when I get to bake with my Grandbabies.
He made his Pecan pie first, I just got all the ingredients together for him. He kept reminding me that he wanted to make it...all by himself!

 

We cut it while it was piping hot, he couldn't wait to try a slice topped with ice cream...of course!

 
 
Next we got busy making 4 French Apple pies. He helped me the entire time. I use a recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook that I've had for years. As you can see from all the splatters on the page, its a well used recipe. No passed down recipes, my Mom was not a baker! :(
 
 
 
We cored, sliced, and peeled the apples, added spices and mixed up the filling, one pie at a time. He spooned the apple filling into the shells. I love the tongue, he's really concentrating here. 
 
 
It look good just like this
 
But we still need to add the French topping. I mixed it up, he took the picture.
 
 
Fresh from the oven, French Apple pies.
 
 
We always top our slice with a bit of ice cream but I've
heard that cheese in good on Apple pie. Probably not
French Apple but regular Apple pie.
Have you ever tried it?
 

2 comments:

kdglisson said...

I have never put cheese on my apple pie before Aunt Susi, besides I wouldn't wanna take the chance of messing it up with how good it was! I'm glad that you and AM got to do something a little fun! You go! By the way...That Recipe Card is Adorable!! Thank you again!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

That recipe card just melted my heart! So sweet! What a fun way to spend time baking, and I'm sure your grandson loved it too. LOVE the photo of him concentrating with his tongue out.

Oh, and I've never tried apple pie with a cheese slice on it but I've heard that it's really good. It would seem a shame to ruin a whole slice of pie if after one bite you didn't like it... I think I'll stick with ice cream! ;o)