Monday, November 4, 2013

Home Alarms And Personal Safety...

Our home alarm system has alarmed us twice in the last few months. Both times it has been the alarm in our detached garage and both times it was early morning hours. The first time they tried to steal a leaf blower but the alarm sounded so they ran and left it out beside the garage. The husband picked it up the next morning. The second time our overhead door was up, the husband thinks that some signal just made the door go up. Me, I don't know or care what made it happen but I do not like it...one bit! I will have to say that I am happy the husband suggested getting an alarm system and that it works very well. Good idea on his part!
We live in a decent neighborhood and have for 28 years, we've never had problems and up until the first incident I was fine but now I'm not sleeping well. And while I never though I'd ever want a gun in the house I told the husband that I wanted to purchase a gun, go to a shooting range and learn to shoot. I've only shot one other time but it was years ago. Soon after our talk we purchased a gun, went to a shooting range and signed up for a class which we will be taking soon. He doesn't need it, I do so he's going along with me. In the meantime I've been learning all I can about this gun before shooting it. Now it may sound as if I'm going a little overboard but with all the crazy going on here and in the world today I want and need to be able to protect myself.
Yesterday we had the opportunity to go into the woods to shoot a few rounds. After some instruction from my husband and my brother-in-law I got to shoot four different guns. One was a little to big but I hit the target with it a couple of times, the other three fit me fine and I think I've found a favorite! Yes, I was a little nervous at first but it didn't take me long to get comfortable shooting at the target. Both my husband and my brother-in-law were surprised at how many time I hit said target and honestly, I was to but I was also proud of myself for doing so well on my first time shooting at a target. I think that this is not only going to make me feel more comfortable in my own home or while out and about but that it is also something I will enjoy learning. I loved the time we spent shooting in the woods and I plan to practice in the woods or at the range often. Practice makes perfect...RIGHT!!!



 

 
I know that a lot of people have issues with guns, so
I wonder, would you or would you
not use a gun for your own personal safety? 

3 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Well that is rather concerning that you've had someone messing around in your garage. Being married to a hunter means we have guns in our house - most of them are locked away, but we do keep one handy for self-defense - God forbid we should ever need it!

It can be fun to shoot at targets - I'm a really decent aim myself - but as I mentioned in Instagram I haven't shot for a while because of my shoulder issue. Gosh, I hope your garage intruder doesn't come back!

Susanne said...

I add my concern that you feel uncertain of your own safety in your own home. That must be a frightening feeling. We don't currently have guns in the house, but I admit over the past year there have been one or two conversations considering it - and we haven't experienced any close calls - thank goodness. There's just too much violence random and otherwise these days, that cultivates an understandable need to be able to protect ourselves and our family. Do be careful!

kdglisson said...

Don't worry Aunt Susi, you got this. I know that those idiots that have tried to get into the house/garage have really scared you, but you'll be ok. You're tough...plus now you have self- defense, I know that makes you feel better. Remember the rules :)