Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Simplifying...

A year ago I started packing up everything we owned. Twenty eight years worth of stuff really adds up, especially when you pack it all up in boxes and totes. Everyone told me I should purge things while packing but I just couldn't do it. I wasn't sure what I'd need for the new house so everything got packed up, put into storage and eventually made its way to the basement and garage of the new house. Once I started unpacking I started purging all those unneeded things that just didn't seem to fit anymore. I have purged about 8 totes of stuff to date. We still have a few boxes in the garage and the Mr. has all his collectibles in the basement to unpack. I doubt he will purge anything but those few boxes in the garage must be filled with stuff I don't need. They've been there for 8 months and I haven't missed anything. I'll get to them once the weather warms up.
Last month on FB I came across a couple of websites about simplifying that caught my eye. You can find them here and here. And while I've already started simplifying I plan to take it a step or two further using information from both websites.
I also follow a blog about a capsule wardrobe. I love her approach and feel like it is something that might work for me. This website also provides information about minimalist fashion. Check them out, very interesting concept. A capsule wardrobe consist of choosing a number of items to wear for each season, mixing them up to make many different outfits so there is less fuss when getting dressed each day. It also suggest setting a shopping budget for each season which in turn should help with impulse buying. Sounds easy enough right? My closet and dresser are both full of clothes I do not wear, many still have tags on them and many of them are very old. I purchased a sweater while shopping with my sister, six months later she found it in her closet and brought it to me. Heck, I didn't even miss it. Problem...yes!
My plan is to start with a Spring Capsule Wardrobe. Sometime around the end of this month I'll be emptying my closet and dresser to see what I can come up with for a simple yet fun Spring Wardrobe and I'll also be setting a small budget for shopping. I'm excited to see if I can make this work for me. I'm finding that I like simple. Oh and that impulse buying thing...Guilty!

2 comments:

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I like the idea of purging unused items - I recently did that with my craft room and I STILL have a ton of stuff...probably need to make another pass through it all. I'll check out the capsule wardrobe links. I could have written your paragraph about clothes buying and impulse purchases word for word! You are not alone!

Paula... said...

I too would have said to purge whilst you're packing but I'd never thought that some things may be better suited to your new home more than your old. At least purging whilst unpacking gives you more time, rather than the rushed packing frenzy when moving out.

I think I had "liked" most of the sites you'd linked in this post and just today have gone through and purged all the sites that I'd "liked" and "followed" on facebook. Well you can read my blog for my reasoning LOL

I've never been into having a lot of clothes and guess I have a minimalist wardrobe anyway - I own a total of 8 pairs of shoes (unheard of I know). My mum brought me up to weigh up my purchases and always ask myself if I "need" it, is it "functional" and can I "co-ordinate" :-P

I don't own any dresses or skirts :-P and my summer wardrobe consists of three pairs of pants with which I mix 'n' match tops (mainly shirts). It's comfortable, casual and smart all at the same time :)

Good luck on your journey - it will certainly be a challenge xxx